Sunday, January 10, 2016

Confetti Project Quilting Challenge 1

I heard about Persimmon Dreams and their Project Quilting challenges on the Sewing with Nancy PBS show.  Since then I've been following their blog.  The first challenge this season pulled me in. 

They called it a Confetti challenge - we could interpret it however we wanted.  You can find all the details here

A lot of ideas came to me, but nothing felt just right.  Then I started googling confetti quilts - I remembered seeing/hearing where people were using little scraps to make a quilt project and I wanted to know more.  After seeing some beautiful quilts I had an ah ha moment .... FOOTBALL.

As many of our friends know, we are avid football fans.  The hubby and I each have an NFL team that we follow.  And we both love the Iowa Hawkeyes.  Since this challenge came just after the Rose Bowl, where there was a lot of confetti, I thought a football project would be perfect.

I've wanted to have something team neutral that we could hang on our front door.  Since the house sits back from the street, it had to be kind of large.

So I started sketching and looking up images, and with the Hubby's help, this is what I came up with.

The football was made as a confetti project, I layered foundation paper piecing paper (to add stability since I didn't know where it would be in the end), a scrap of fabric, my confetti and some white tulle topped it off.  Then as everyone says, I quilted the heck out of it and trimmed  it to my football shape.  I added some braided type ribbon as the laces.

The goal post was appliqued on and then the football was placed.  This is my first attempt at echo quilting and I'm pretty happy with it.  It ended up being 20.5 in wide and 24.5 in long.



The snow beauty shot....




Loving how it looks on our bold front door - thanks to the Hubby for the shot.


1 comment: