Friday, January 8, 2016

Quilt: New Years project


Each New Year holiday, I like to pick a project to work on.  This year, my unfinished Aurifil 2014 Block of the month project called to me. 

Here's the background...

While I had heard of the project when it started, in January 2014, it wasn't until October that I was interested in the quilt.

They started the project with a certain set of fabrics - I didn't feel like going out and buying those.  Yes I knew that I could substitute but it just wasn't calling me.... then it happened.  Someone posted there blocks made of primary colors - I fell in love with the red, blue, green and yellow spools.  I still didn't hop on board.  Then while I was on a shop hop, one shop had a display with Red, Green, Blue and Yellow - I fell in love with the fabric and the idea to use them in the BOM.

Like any good quilter on a budge, I bought the amount they recommended at the beginning of the BOM and set off to create my blocks.  I was able to finish 7 of the 12 then I ran out of blue and red and the project stalled.

I tried to find substitute fabric - I found something I liked for the red, but the blue stumped me.  Everything was the wrong shade.  Lucky for me, on the next shop hop, the original shop still had the blue.  :)  Unfortunately, the project still sat in the lonely UFO pile.... I didn't like a few of the blocks.

Fast forward to Jan 2, 2016...

I pulled out my Aurifil BOM box - fabric, blocks, remnants and to my surprise, no patterns.  A quick google search and I found the five blocks I needed. - Note to self, if you work on a project with online instructions and you start to pack it away, print the rest of the instructions.

So on the sunny afternoon, I started pulling things out of the box, I was happy to see the seven blocks I had done, I love the Spools and Button and ... well most of them.

Much to my surprise, I had everything cut for four of the blocks and one was mostly pieced.  Piecing the blocks went quickly and soon I had everything on my design wall, unpressed.








Now to figure out how to layout this crazy bunch of blocks so I can get a finished top.

When the Hubby saw this, he told me that's what I needed to do...

The only fabric I have to do that is a plaid, and I'm not sure it would work.  I also found a 3x4 layout it's towards the bottom of the page.

So now the New Year UFO project is again on the top of my UFO pile.... at least the blocks got done.

~ The Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment