Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Quilt: Kaffe Fassett project

Several years ago, I stumbled across a Kaffe Fassett book at a local fabric shop.  It was definitely love at first sight.  The meld of colors, patterns and texture .... wow!

Lucky for me one of the local quilt stores cares his fabrics, swoon!  I picked up one of their homemade charm packs, who can decide on one delicious fabric?  And there I sat for weeks.  What would I make, could I make anything like the pictures in his book? It was all overwhelming.

Then my hubby challenged me to do something with the charms.  I guess he was tried of seeing them hanging on my design wall .... which is in the up stairs hallway so he passes it multiple times a day.

A challenge was all I needed.  I made the design myself, I wanted a quilt that used one charm pack and was still bigger than 36x36.

.... and there the project sat for a couple of years.

I loved the top but it felt too small, I played with several different boarders and nothing felt right.  So there it sat in a sad and lonely grocery bag stuffed at the bottom of the UFO pile.  The poor thing.

Before Christmas I stumbled across the bag, it's always been in the back of my head but when I saw it, I realized I need to do something with it.  So it moved to the top of the UFO pile.  At least then I would see it and it would call to me sometime in 2016 right?!?

So on Sunday I was complaining to the hubby about not feeling creative and he looked at me and said "Quilt".

That was all I needed.... out came the lonely Kaffe Fassett quilt.  It made it back to the design wall, one weird little border attached and more borders pieced in the bag.  I put it all out and started taking pictures.

First the quilt itself.


Then the quilt with the triangle border.


Then the quilt with the third and fourth border ..... I was a little border obsessed back then. ;)



I studied the pictures, looked for the 2 other charms I'd picked up over the years.  And when I didn't find them, I decided the quilt looks great the way it is.


Would it look good with more borders, would I like a few more rows?  Probably.  But I've been wanting a little lap blanket in the car, Iowa can be cold in the winter!

So off came the border and now I'm ready to find some backing and get this baby quilted. Before the end of January!


The Momma



No comments:

Post a Comment